The Mansion House - Was begun in 1739, and finished in 1752. It is built in a very substantial manner of Portland stone, and is adorned with a large portico of six fluted corinthian columns, with interior pillars of the same order. These columns support a noble pediment enriched with a basso relieveo, allegorically describing the dignity and opulence of the city of London.
This magnificent building cost £42,638. 18s. 8d. but the whole is heavy, and placed in a very injudicious as well as inconvenient situation.