CATS AND DOGS' MEAT,
CONSISTING of horse-flesh, bullocks' livers, and tripe cuttings, is carried to every part of the town. The two former are sold by weight at twopence per pound, and the latter tied up in bunches of one penny each. Although this is the most disagreeable and offensive commodity cried for sale in London, the occupation seems to be engrossed by women. It frequently happens in the streets little frequented by carriages that, as soon as one of these purveyors for cats and dogs arrives, she is surrounded by a crowd of animals, and were she not as severe as vigilant, could scarcely avoid the depredations of her hungry followers.
Bethlem Hospital stands on the south side of the quarters of Moorfields, and has the following inscription in gold letters on the front, immediately over the grand entrance: Bethlem Hospital, founded by Henry VIII. for the cure of lunatics, was rebuilt by voluntary contribution in 1675, and the wings added, by subsequent benefactions, in 1733, for the reception of incurable and dangerous lunatics. It was built on the plan of the Tuilleries at Paris. Louis the Fourteenth was so enraged that the design of his palace should be adopted for a lunatic hospital, that he ordered a plan of St. James's to be taken, resolving it should be a model for offices of the vilest nature. The Hospital is five hundred and forty feet in length. A high wall in front of each wing encloses a garden, where the patients are allowed to walk. The centre of the building is seen through iron gates, which open to a paved court leading to the steps of the grand entrance. On each side the iron gate is a figure, one of melancholy and the other of raging madness. These figures are in recumbent postures on the pillars of the gate, and are finely executed. The artist was Caius Gabriel Cibber, father of the poet. Part of the gate, the east wing, and the wall enclosing the garden of that wing, are seen in the Plate.