OF all kinds, rush and rope, from sixpence to four shillings each, with Table Mats of various sorts, are daily cried through the streets of London.
Charing-Cross divides the Strand from Parliament-street to the south, and from Cockspur-street to the west. It derives its name from being the site of one of the Crosses, the celebrated memorials of the affection of Edward the First for Queen Eleanor. It was the last spot on which the body rested in its way to the Abbey. This Cross was replaced by a most beautiful and animated equestrian statue in brass of Charles the First, cast in 1633 by Le Sœur for the Earl of Arundel. It was erected in 1678, when it was placed on the present pedestal, the work of Grinlyn Gibbons. The spirit and beauty of the horse have not often been surpassed. To the left of the Plate, and distinguishable by its stone parapet and square tower, is seen part of the magnificent screen of Northumberland House. A spacious court intervenes between this screen and the house itself. Behind the house are extensive gardens. The screen contains two stories of apartments occupied by domestics, and their offices. The entrance gate is in the centre of the screen, which runs from Charing-cross to Northumberland-court, each extremity terminating with a square tower.